Saturday, August 11, 2012
When it's one of THOSE days...
It's one of THOSE days. If you're honest with yourself you'll know what I'm talking about. It's the day when you feel like a failure, like nothing you have done are currently doing or will do in the future will succeed. It's the day where all around you are mountains to climb and the streams of refreshing feel so very far off. It's the day where you feel like you'll never overcome the scale so who cares what you eat or if you ever exercise again. It's the day where you feel like you cannot accomplish anything because your brain and your body will not cooperate. It's the day where there is random leaking from your eyes and it seems like a good idea to dig a hole and just crawl inside until the day is done.
I hate these days.
Bible reading and prayer feel dry and dusty. The little gray cloud is hanging overhead and it seems there is little I can do to dispel it. I know it will pass and the day will seem doable again but in the midst of it...well, it isn't pretty.
These are not hard and fast rules, but perhaps some things that may help if you're having one of THOSE days:
1. Garner as many hugs as you can. Human touch is good medicine.
2. Get outside and move a little, endorphins are a great way to counteract melancholy.
3. Eat well, try to avoid the junk food that your brain is craving...it won't help... unless it's dark chocolate...okay any chocolate might help, not that I'm an expert or anything!
4. Don't expect too much of yourself, shorten the to do list.
5. Write down things you are thankful for and write down the things that get done...it's helpful to look back and see that you DID accomplish something underlining the fact that you are NOT a loser after all.
6. Meditate on some good words, here are some I read this morning from the Message
7. If you're up to it, call a trusted friend to pray for you.
8. Turn on worship music, it will lift your spirit and speak to your soul.
9. Gaze on something beautiful.
10. Cuddle up with someone you love.
11. Read/watch something funny...a cheerful heart does good like medicine (straight out of proverbs!) One of my recent places to go for a laugh...A Slob Comes Clean she's funny!
Psalms 94 from verses 16-19
" If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. The minute I said, "I'm slipping, I'm falling," your love, God, took hold and held me fast. When I was upset and beside myself, you calmed me down and cheered me up."
I hope you're NOT having one of THOSE days, but it you are, remember you are not alone there is One who sticks closer than a brother and is willing to help you through to the other side.
photo credit: photo.net Gallery Portfolio: photo.net/photos/ben.goossens