|nobody had any complaints except the girl I made the pie for, apparently she doesn't like lemon meringue...Who Knew?|
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
1 cup sweet rice flour (**I ground regular white rice in my flour mill and that worked just fine)
dash of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
rounded teaspoon of xanthan gum
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 tbsp vinegar
4 tbsp ice water
sweet rice flour for rolling
1. Blend well together the flours, xanthan gum, salt and sugar (flours for gluten free baking must be well-blended - either sift them several times together or I put them all in a zip-lock bag and shake the bag - no dust-method, smile)
2. Cut in butter and shortening
3. Beat egg, add vinegar and ice-water.
4. Stir into flour mixture forming a ball. (Add a little more water if too dry)
5. You may knead this a bit since rice flour crust can stand handling. Knead until you have a smooth, soft ball.
6. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour or more to chill.
7. Roll out between wax paper dusted with sweet rice flour. Peel off top layer of wax paper, flip over onto pie plate and then carefully peel off the other layer of wax paper and fit pastry into pie shell fluting edges -
8. Bake at 375 until lightly browned
makes one double crust pie or 2 single crust.