Saturday, March 30, 2013

Gluten Free Pastry

** I cannot take credit for this recipe, I found it on a website somewhere but didn't write down the source!  If you come across it please let me know so that I can give proper credit where it's due, because this recipe is amazing!!
nobody had any complaints except the girl I made the pie for, apparently she doesn't like lemon meringue...Who Knew?

Ingredients:
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
1 cup sweet rice flour (**I ground regular white rice in my flour mill and that worked just fine)
dash of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
rounded teaspoon of xanthan gum
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 tbsp vinegar
4 tbsp ice water
sweet rice flour for rolling

METHOD
1. Blend well together the flours, xanthan gum, salt and sugar (flours for gluten free baking must be well-blended - either sift them several times together or I put them all in a zip-lock bag and shake the bag - no dust-method, smile)
2. Cut in butter and shortening
3. Beat egg, add vinegar and ice-water.
4. Stir into flour mixture forming a ball. (Add a little more water if too dry)
5. You may knead this a bit since rice flour crust can stand handling.  Knead until you have a smooth, soft ball.
6. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour or more to chill.
7.  Roll out between wax paper dusted with sweet rice flour.  Peel off top layer of wax paper, flip over onto pie plate and then carefully peel off the other layer of wax paper and fit pastry into pie shell fluting edges -
8. Bake at 375 until lightly browned

makes one double crust pie or 2 single crust.

1 comment:

Kim's Creations said...

Thanks Lani, now I can have pie too!