Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Responsibility of Rest

We're all tucked in today.  Rather than spring we have a drive-way blown in with snow and the cold wind is howling outside. My children won't be at school today because the buses can't get through.

No more snowy linen napkins draped over my lap whilst enjoying a four-course gourmet meal.  I'll be making my own bed today and wiping down my own bathroom.  No one is going to make cute little animals out of towels and leave them with chocolate on my bed.

Responsibility's song is singing to me and because of the last two weeks I am not shutting my ears and begging that song to sing to someone else.

Rest is a powerful weapon against the desire to abdicate and hide in one's room.  I guess Jesus knew that since he mentioned it in Mark 6:31 And He said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a lonely place and rest a while." For there were many people coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.

Rest allows my soul to refresh itself and remember what it was created to do.  God's workload and mine don't always jive.  I'm usually guilting myself into doing far more than what God has actually asked me to do. But He has a remedy for that...

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. "For My yoke is easy, and My load is light." Matthew 11:28-30 

Having had a relief from all responsibility save deciding what I'm going to eat and what relaxing thing I can do next has allowed me the benefit of embracing those responsibilities with a renewed heart and mind.

I have to admit, I am a stranger to rest and my body has been forcing me into a learning curve that I can't say I've appreciated until now.  I have been in adrenal fatigue for a number of years without knowing that this was the malaise from which I suffered.  I thought I was going soft, getting lazy, losing my mind and will to carry on, only to find out that there was a very real physical cause behind it.

Adrenal fatigue can only be recovered from by learning to rest, allowing your body as much freedom from stress as possible.  We did not seek out crazy adventures or long hikes in the the rain forest.  We didn't go white-water tubing or work out in the gym.  I rested.  I spent time in the spa, we drove around in a taxi, listening to an islander tell us about his beloved country.  We sat in quaint cafes and talked to our kids with free internet while listening to the waves crash against the rocks at our feet.

Coming home we feel refreshed and at peace, content with our lot and ready to pick up the reigns of our life once again. Just like the scripture said we would...shocking - the Bible was right after all!

I was reminded that my number one goal in this life is to love well.  To love my God, my husband and my children and those that God puts me in contact with.  I can't love well when I am so drained of all physical energy.  I must be intentional about where I dole out what precious little I have.

I read some great books these last few weeks, encouraging me to do just that.  I will be posting reviews on those books over the next few weeks, sharing some stories and pictures from our adventures. My task now is to learn to be at rest no matter what is happening around me.  To put the important things in order and not waste time doing things that I think are restful but are really draining away my spirit and my energy.

My theme for this year is grace-full discipline.  One wouldn't think that we needed to be disciplined about rest but scripture says otherwise...


There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall through following the same example of disobedience. Hebrews 4:9-11
Not entering into rest is a matter of disobedience...did you catch that? Diligently entering into rest is a command for God's people. Staying in a state of 'unfrazzled-ness' (I just made that word up!), loving well in the process...these are some of the precious things I've brought back from this trip.
See you soon...in the meantime, will you tell me how you pursue rest, I'd love to hear from you.
Toodle-oo for now
Don't miss a post, subscribe by e-mail in the sidebar!

2 comments:

Marcy Payne said...

Well said, Lani! That is exactly how I felt :-) I didn't go so far as to relate it to adrenal fatigue and rest being awesome to let that recover, but you are bang on. I'm glad you feel rested and ready to take on the "world". Me too. On that note, the laundry calls.

Lizzie Branch said...

so glad you had a restful trip. I have missed you in the blogger world!! Enjoy that sweet space. Reality is hard to do with rest. Love you!!