Saturday, May 07, 2011

Thankfulness in the Storm

I have to remind myself to post the good stuff, too.  If you go back through my archives you'll find my journey of 1000 gifts, little bits of grace given by the Father.  If you want to learn more about a life of thankfulness head over to Holy Experience and start your journey.  Today she has an amazing post on what it takes to be a mother, not perfection, just humility and the willingness to work at relationships.  How I needed to hear that today.

It's been a relatively calm week.  In fact with only one major blow up in the last 6 weeks or so, it's almost felt like hope can rise.  We're pretty sure some of our son's issues are seasonal but we don't have a firm diagnosis of that, we know winter is always bad.  The other behaviours continue but an explosion free zone has been nice.  I'm even painting the basement, filling in all the holes, covering the wreckage with the grace of paint and plaster.  Hoping, hoping that we won't have to fill in a hole for a very long time.  We used plywood to make the walls of the new bedroom in hopes that it will be harder to break.

Last week I took J and C to the city for an appointment.  It turned out to be an excellent day.  We managed to keep the jealousy monster in check, he managed to bend with changes of plans and expressed gratitude continually throughout the day.

Pieces of grace that are needed to continue to mend my fragile, broken heart...
- thankful that we were able to get where we needed to be at the right times despite all the driving around NOT finding where we wanted to go
- thankful for a son who wants to kill in an hour in the library instead of at an arcade
- thankful for my kids in general
- the gift of crocuses on the hillside, not just one or two, but hundreds!



- teaparties with big brothers and little sisters



- seeders in the field, sowing hope for abundance
-friends who come to visit
- hugs
- understanding
- godly young men
- my new kitchen table
- watching my daughter sew a quilt
- piles of fabric waiting to be sewn
- projects that work
- when a space becomes yours

1 comment:

Marcy Payne said...

Lani, I am praying for you as you find the things to be thankful for during the storms of life. YOu are a blessing. I have been reading some blogs of families with RAD kids and I know it is a more traumatic life than anyone really knows (who hasn't gone through it). I pray that you won't have any holes in the walls for a very long time too. Blessings to you, my friend.