Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The Perfect Gift

There must have been such anticipation in heaven that night so long ago. God himself peering over heaven's edge waiting for that package to be opened. How He must have grinned at the shepherds trembling knees, maybe even laughed out loud at the look on their faces when those angels showed up!

I love watching someone open a gift I've given them. Especially if it's one that I made myself or put alot of thought into. I want to see the joy and delight etched across their features knowing that I hit the mark.

And I am crushed when that doesn't happen....when the intended recipient tosses the gift aside declaring it unworthy of their attention as they scorn the gift.

Or even worse, indifference. The receiver hasn't really received the gift, they've just looked at it, handled it and set it aside like a box of tissue or the magazine at the doctor's office, never giving it another thought.

I've been thinking about this even in terms of those packages I send far away. I don't get to see the expression of delight, dismay or indifference, I have no idea how the gift was truly received.

I wonder how I am receiving the Gift this Christmas. I know myself to have been indifferent before, neither acknowledging nor expressing gratitude for the exceptional planning and preparation that went into the presentation of the Gift.

I want to be filled with wonder and awe this year, reveling in the package details, the incredible care that was taken to get the setting perfect and most of all, delighting in the Gift Himself. I pray that I might bring a smile to the Father's face as I receive His gift to me.

How will you receive Him?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there excellent website! Does running a blog like
this take a massive amount work? I have absolutely no understanding of programming however I had been hoping to
start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any recommendations
or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic however I just had
to ask. Many thanks!
my webpage :: how to install electric baseboard heaters