A few people have been asking for this recipe, since it's probably easier to copy it from here than me sending out a dozen e-mails I'll post it here. This isn't my recipe I got it off a newsletter that I receive on a regular basis. I've been using it for a number of years with good success. I have quite a few peeps with sensitive skin and none of us have trouble with this detergent. I suppose if you were allergic to Ivory you could substitute a different type of pure soap.
** you'll need to save up a few empty bottles first or store it in ice cream pails!!
1 bar of Ivory soap
1/2 c Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 c Borax
1. Grate the soap
2. In a large pot (I use my canner) heat 6 cups of water and the soap over medium heat until dissolved.
3. Stir in Borax and A&H until dissolved.
4. Add 4 cups of HOT water, stir.
5. You can add essential oil or some commercial detergent to the mix if you want (sometimes I add a laundry booster)
6. Add 1 gallon + 6 cups of COLD water. stir
7. Let set without stirring for 24 hours. It will have the consistency of liquid gel. Stir (I use a whisk).
Pour into jugs with tight lids. Use 1/4 c for HE machines.