I got caught.
Thought #1 - I hate thinking about food.
For the last two weeks or so (I have 3 days left) I have been eating a gluten/dairy/caffeine/chocolate/sugar free diet...mostly. I have had a REAL cup of tea at least twice...without suffering any consequences. I've had to think very seriously about what I can eat, plan for not-at-home eating experiences and make meals that I can eat with my family and not worry about. Sometimes, like today, I will be making 2 suppers, one for everyone else (taco salad) and some version of same that has none of the good stuff in it...like cheese!
Thought #2 - I have no willpower when I'm stressed.
Yesterday I caved. Yesterday was Thursday. Yesterday was me and 6 kids heading to lessons in the city. Yesterday I was very thoughtful of my children who have to eat supper on the way in to the city and I made pigs-in-a-blanket for them. Yesterday I used our locally made sausage (from our own pigs) and biscuit dough, the kind with flour...that contains gluten. Yesterday I smelled those warm little piggies all the way into the city. Yesterday I listened to them rant and rave about how yummy they were and what a great cook I am. Yesterday my RAD son was literally crawling all over the van while I was stopped in front of the violin teacher's house eating my salad that I didn't particularly like. Yesterday he was uptight and overtired and yelling at me and his siblings. Yesterday I was stressed and after I dropped him off I ate 2 of those piggies and didn't care.
Son #4 says, from the very back seat, "Mom, don't those have gluten in them?"
"Why yes, son they do, why are you asking?"
"You shouldn't be eating them then right? You broke your diet plan."
"Why no son, thanks for reminding me about my failings...and pass the bbq sauce."
Thought #3 - I'm easily discouraged.
Since I started using Fitness Pal and watching what I'm eating I've lost almost 10 lbs. (only 5 according to Fitness Pal because I refused to stick that big number in there). And this week, none. Not even one pound, I think maybe the scale is broken. I should just give up. I'll never lose the weight. It's pointless...blah, blah, blah.
Thought #4 - I have really encouraging friends.
Thank God for them! They encourage all my efforts and support me and I am so deeply thankful for their cheerleading abilities. Can I think of 7 of them off the top of my head, yes, I think I can; Tamara, Sarah, Krista, my mom, Lloanne, Linda, Marilee...I have more than seven friends, I just wanted to see if I could think of 7 really fast! The sweetest part is that most of those count double - I have 2 Sarahs, 2 Kristas, 2 Lindas and 2 moms!!!
Thought #5 - I don't really have another thought but I need to make it round out to 7, just because I said this was a 7s kind of post.
Thought #6 - I love change because I get bored easily.
I think my biggest issue with limiting what I wear or what I eat is that I get bored with the same thing really easily. How I've managed to keep the same husband and children for 20 years is a mystery to me. We have changed the dog out several times...
I noticed this morning that my daughter sticks to a very limited wardrobe as does my eldest son, they don't use a lot of variety in their dressing and their drawers and closets do not overflow with clothing and, believe it or not, I get bored with looking at them in the same stuff every day...I'm thinking expand your horizons, branch out a little, get creative in what you wear...says the woman sitting in yoga pants and t-shirt with her hair stuck in a ponytail - again!
I like things to move around a little, keep me interested...perhaps that's why this limited diet is doing me in right now...almost there!!!
Thought #7 - Media wastes enormous amounts of time and adds very little to my life
I was amazed the other day when I cleaned the majority of my disaster area bedroom in 20 minutes. 20 MINUTES! Do you have any idea how long it's been a disaster? No? Good, I'd rather you didn't know the answer to that. Suffice it to say that it's always the last place to get cleaned up and everyone seems to leave their stuff in my room, unless Kelly has taken up playing with Bionicles, but I doubt it, and I don't think he wears little pink t-shirts with LaLaLoopsy on them either.
How many HOURS have I wasted away trying to figure out Twitter and checking my e-mail and hanging out on Facebook? That room could have been clean a long time ago! Did Snow White and the Huntsmen and one moment of value to my life? I don't think so, yet I spent two hours watching it. What if I had spent those two hours in my craft room creating something beautiful for someone?
My late-night driving time with my son could have turned into a much more interesting conversation if we had just put our phones away...but we didn't.
7 things I'm thankful for today:
1. the most beautiful moon as I drove home last night
2. God's hand of protection - we saw a lot of deer last night and hit none
3. full jars of jam, salsa, pears, peaches, cherries and pickles
4. harvest is almost done
5. I'm going to the Allume Social
6. the creative group of women that are walking with me in this new women's ministry, LOVE those girls!
7. REAL-ness, it's coming, a little at a time, because we said we wanted to be real with one another
7 words from the WORD:
1. Psalm 84: 3 "Even the sparrow has found a home and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young - a place near your altar," (saw so many sparrows yesterday on my front yard, I couldn't help but think of this verse, and the song, His Eye is on the Sparrow)
2. Psalm 84:10 "Better is one day in your courts that a thousand elsewhere..."
3. Psalm 86:7 "In the day of my trouble I will call to you, for you will answer me."
4. Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run into it and they are safe."
5. Isaiah 65:24 "Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear."
6. Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is being sure of what we hope for. It is being certain fo what we do not see."
7. Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."
OH my! Aren't those words like water to your soul? They are for me, especially this morning as I'm feeling pretty dry and barren, tired and a little stressed...yes Lord, You are mighty to save...I think I can go conquer my list now...
7 things I will probably eat next week:
2. chocolate covered pomegranate
4. a sandwich that doesn't contain rice cakes
7. did I mention cheese? (I really miss cheese the most, I can live without bread)
Pieces of Amy today.
On Facebook: Lani Fast Wiens
On Twitter: Lani Wiens @flowerlady77
Pinterest: Lani Wiens
Have a flower-filled day!