Friday, July 15, 2005

fresh flowers for July 15

Becoming a Son-Worshipper
©2005, Lani Wiens
a fresh flowers original

A flower popped up in my shower this morning. My feet looked like they were really dirty but when I got down there to really take a look I realized it wasn’t dirt it was tan lines from my sandals! That got me to thinking…….

I have never been a sun-worshipper. Didn’t do the go out and slather yourself in oil so you can cook (not mentioning any names here of people who do that :)). However, for many years I spent all my time at the swimming pool, first as a patron and then as a lifeguard and swimming instructor. Needless to say by the end of summer I had a Malibu Barbie tan (unfortunately not the figure – hee hee). But as an adult I have withdrawn to the indoors. I’m not much of an outdoorsy type. Not so long ago as I was praying I heard the Lord whisper in my ear that as we move over to the new place I was going to become a gardener, in fact, I would learn to love gardening. I laughed out loud. Here’s why.

My mom and dad are avid gardeners. They grow absolutely gorgeous, productive gardens. They love being out there, puttering, weeding, watering and all that green-thumbish sort of stuff. I, on the other hand, have not acquired that love. I garden only when I have to for survival. When we bought our present abode Kelly and I were thrilled that there was no garden space, no one would require this of us, no one would expect us to grow a garden, happy day. However, one of the things that we felt we were supposed to do as an act of faith in this house adventure was to plant a garden at the new house. Our friends were happy to let us do that. So my mother-in-law (also an avid gardener – over 800 bedding plants/year) went over and did the deed. Now it’s been up to me to care for the thing. My dear friend planted my flower beds at our house to up the curb appeal (they’re mostly full of perennials so I haven’t done much with them), once again, it’s up to me to care for them.

Now here’s the kicker, I have been taking care of them and I have been enjoying it – gasp! I have all kinds of ideas about transforming our new back yard into a lovely garden paradise. I’ve been working out in my own backyard, pulling weeds and trying to make the weed and dirt patch look as nice as possible. I’ve only killed one potted plant that I received this year (1 out of 7 isn’t bad – okay 5, 2 got stolen), in fact they are thriving.

So, as I’ve followed the directives of the Lord, spent time in the sun, the mark of the sun is on me, I’m no longer pasty white as I have been for years. The rays of the sun are bringing out the colour in me. I know that as I spend time with the Son, His mark will remain on me as well. The colours that the master gardener has planted in me will come out to bless other people with their beauty just as the flowers bloom in my garden. I am convinced that it is a good thing to be a Son-worshipper. I want His mark left on me.

1 comment:

Trail Rider said...

COOL! I am new to the garden thing these last few years and am REALLY growing to like it too! God really does give us the desires of our hearts. Be blessed in turning those thumbs green. I have a feeling they will go green quite easily!

By the way, Whoever goes in the sun with oil on is nuts! (of course, if you love to tan and have 4 kids and don't have time to sit in the sun for hours, the oil can cook you quite nicely...)
But still they would be nuts...LOL