Friday, July 22, 2005

fresh flowers for July 22

Plan A or Plan A?
©2005, Lani Wiens
a fresh flowers original

So have you ever made a plan that turned out exactly the way you planned it? Very rarely this has happened to me, very rarely, but it’s happened, usually when I am complete control of the situation, which doesn’t happen very often. Most often the plan I make is vastly different then the end result. Sometimes they don’t even look remotely the same. It makes for a lot of fun when you’re quilting but for the rest of life it can be a little troublesome. I’ve been pondering this in relation to this house adventure. (yes, I’m still on this house thing, maybe I’ll make a whole book just out of this experience, who knows!)

I just read a fun little book called, Sisterchicks in Sombreros by Robin Jones Gunn. While being a light-hearted read it held out to me a few excellent lessons that I needed to learn. (Who needs theology books, read a great novel!) One of the sisterchicks was trying to explain her new romance with God. One of the things that had sparked this new passion was her prayer for God’s dreams for her to be accomplished. You’ll find this idea in the scripture embedded in the Lord’s prayer – Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven – and in Proverbs, “Many are the plans of a man’s heart but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”

The idea that God is dreaming dreams for me made my heart smile and I began to pray this way as well. What is God dreaming up for my family with this house business. We have had a plan that looks like selling our property. But what if God’s plan is not that? Many people have encouraged us in considering making it into a rental property because of our proximity to a local technical institute and the bus routes to the university and downtown. So we’re pondering that, asking God for wisdom. At first I thought this is Plan B, not Plan A. After reading this little tidbit from Gunn’s book I wonder if this is God’s Plan A and has been the whole time. Perhaps there are lessons we need to learn as managers and stewards, time will tell.

We know from experience that God’s timing and agenda are much better than ours. He is extremely organized and detailed. When we were first married and praying that we would be able to have children we were convinced of the way it should happen. God wasn’t particularly interested in our timetable. The timing of our first baby’s arrival was perfect. Kelly was finished school and had a great job. I was in a working situation that I desperately wanted out of. Along came Josiah, just at the right time. Our Plan B, God’s Plan A.

I’m not sure why I find this so difficult to grasp……oh yeah, I have control issues! Anyway, for all my flower friends, today, ask God to bring forth His dreams for you, and recognize them for what they are. Each day is an adventure waiting to happen. What are we going to do with the opportunities presented to us today? Pray for us as we discern God’s plan A for us and our house. Blessings on all of you, pick lots of flowers, dream big dreams!!

2 comments:

Lani - the flowerlady said...

thanks

BayouMaMa said...

"The idea that God is dreaming dreams for me made my heart smile and I began to pray this way as well."

Oh...if I could just let that sink in! What a beautiful way to look at it! I hate that some days are just lost opportunities because of my battles with fatigue. I guess I have to trust that God is not surprised by my fatigue and has a beautiful dream for me in spite of it.