Monday, July 11, 2005

not so fresh flowers for July 11

A few flower petals...

Well friends, flu bugs and family affairs managed to combine and pluck the flowers out of my brain. So I will resort to amusing you. Hope this will hold you over until Friday.

This morning I was sweeping my floor and came across a piece of Barbie ‘food’, a little bit of plastic bacon. My little girl was playing with her Barbies in the middle of the floor so I tossed it over to her. She immediately put it in her mouth. (Keep in mind she is no longer a baby but a big girl of 5 years). “Honey, that was just in my sweeping, it’s dirty don’t put it in your mouth, that’s yucky."

“It’s okay mommy, I’m washing it.”

The following comes via a friend, enjoy….

LIFE IN THE 1500'S

Most people got married in June, because they took their yearly bath in May and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odour. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children! Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and off the roof. Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that just puts it all into perspective, doesn't it?

Can you imagine what their BREATH smelt like? Oh dear Lord, thank You for the time I live in!!!!

Trail Rider said...

I can't imagine bathing my little baby faith in bath water like that!!! I'd be better if she would never bath at all...or would it???

yes, I too am glad for the time we live in. I would wonder if we could measure it somehow (not without a time machine) to see how many of us, if hurrled into the 1500's, would survive.....NOT ME!

Trail Rider said...

hey, I'm very curious about the link to intent. I went to her blog. trying to find the one on making everyone else's opinion yours...where is it? can you link me?

Lani - the flowerlady said...

Yup, glad for frequent bathing!