Friday, February 11, 2005

Access Granted

Yesterday the Lord directed me to fast from the computer. Whew! Didn't realize how attached I am to this thing. Anyways, the Lord is faithful.

We have tried to adopt a policy of being accessible to our kids as much as possible in an attempt to let them know that they are very important to us. We hope that as they grow into their young adult years (I hate the word teen-ager) that the open communication will continue to grow and foster healthy relationships. To further that end we carry a cell phone with us when we're out. Last Saturday we were helping to facilitate a beautiful time of worship and intercession. This group is passionate in their pursuit of God. In the middle of a quiet place where the Spirit of the Lord was hovering over us, our cell phone rings (yes, we forgot to turn on the etiquette mode). Kelly is playing his keyboard and can't just stop so I got the phone out of his pocket and hurried off to a quiet corner to answer it. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, "I hope nothing's wrong." which is immediately followed by, "There better be something wrong!" (I'm pretty human still).

My eldest son's voice is on the other end of the line, "Mommy can I talk to Dad?"
"He can't talk on the phone right now honey can you tell me what the problem is?"
"We can't get the SpongeBob plug and play to work, we need his help!"
"Did you do the things he told you before we left?"
"Yeah, but it still won't work."
God is at work in my heart during this exchange letting me know that what is going on over the phone right now is vitally important.
"Hang on, I'll go ask Daddy if he can help," I say as I quietly weave my way through worshippers on the floor continuing to intercede on behalf of our city.
"It's Josiah," I whisper to Kelly, "he can't get the plug and play to work."
We quietly discuss all the possibilities as Kelly continues to play beautiful music over the group.
I hurry back to the bathroom and continue to talk to my son.
"Honey, we can't think of anything else that you can do, try unplugging the VCR and if that doesn't work then you'll have to wait until tomorrow, okay."
"Okay, bye mommy."

Our Daddy in heaven is constantly available to us. He has given us unhindered access to Him. He may be solving world famine issues, dealing with principalities and powers, deploying troops and receiving our worship but in the middle of all of that He is listening for the tiniest cry of "Daddy, I need help with something..."

"Oh the depths of His passionate love, Oh the wonders of His Spirit, I can't live without the love of Jesus..." [from "The Love of Jesus" by Kelly Wiens]

There is nothing too mundane, normal or trivial for the Father to listen, too. His love is all encompassing, His ear never to tired to bend toward His children. What a mighty God we serve.

2 comments:

CWG said...

I can't remember who it was but one of the recent presidents of the united states used to have a policy in place where no matter what he was doing or where he was, his son was allowed to see him. I think you guys are on the right track, not letting situations get in the way of the more important goal. Building a true strong relationship with your kids. Excellent.

Sonya said...

You're pink now!