Thursday, October 18, 2012

Honey-Oatmeal Bread {Day 18}

Mmmmmm, nothing wraps a place in home like the smell of fresh bread!  I LOVE making bread.  With six kids in this house it is WAY cheaper for us to make all or our bread.  I make about 12 loaves a week and yes, we usually eat them all!  With 4 kids in public school and 4 of us at home every day...well, that's a lot of sandwiches.

I do not own a bread maker - that would be a pointless exercise in futitlity.  My M-I-L bought us a Bosch kitchen machine as a wedding gift.  Probably the most practical gift we receive.  I use it all.the.time!  Those thing are worth every penny because they just won't die!  I've even had mine fall off the counter and keep going! In 20 years we've replace the power cord, (that's a whole story in itself), the bowl covers and the wire whisks - but still worth it!

I also love that Jesus called himself the bread of life!  He broke bread with his disciples and encouraged us not to give up on breaking bread together.  Bread was the staple of the Jewish culture, perhaps if he had been in China he would have introduced himself as the rice of life...but we're not in China...so bread it is!!

Today my project for you is Honey-Oatmeal Bread (this recipe will make 6 loaves of bread).

In your mixing bowl combine:

7 cups of warm water
3 tbsp of instant yeast
1/2 cup of honey
3 tsp of salt
1/2 cup of oil
2 cups of oatmeal (I use either quick oats of steel cut oats, doesn't really matter)
4 cups of flour

Mix that together and then continue adding flour until you have a soft dough that pulls away from the sides and middle of the mixer.  If you're doing this by hand, you would want to continue adding until the dough isn't sticky anymore on greased hands.

I let my dough rest for about 15 minutes and then shape it into loaves and put it into greased bread pans.
For this bread I like to slash the tops of the bread, brush them with a mixture of egg-white and milk and then sprinkle the top with oatmeal.



Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

Pop those babies out of their pans as soon as you take them out of the oven and enjoy once they are cool enough to handle!

When they have completely cooled you can bag them and freeze for later use.















This post is one in an ongoing series called {31 days of Uncommon Creativity}.  If you'd like to start back at the beginning you can do so by clicking here!  You can find a lot of other 31 day-ers over at Nesting Place. go check it out you may find some great stuff there that is just begging for you to read it!


*eucharisteo*
Grace * Thanksgiving * Joy

You will also find me on:
Facebook:  Lani Fast Wiens
Twitter:  @flowerlady77
Pinterest: lanireneewiens

No comments: